There are few things as glorious as a summer wedding. For any couples who are planning to say ‘I do’ in the hotter months of the year, we have put together some of our fav hottest summer wedding ideas. From the picture-perfect sunrise to cool cocktails in the afternoon to watching the stars come out in the balmy warm evening……….we love a summer wedding. Australia is a country synonymous with sun, sand and water, and you can capture the relaxed holiday vibe of the season perfectly by adding some of these cool touches for a summer wedding.
Summer Wedding Ideas that we love
Refreshing cold drinks
There are some very cool ways to cool down at a summer wedding, and you can put your own personal spin on summer drinks that all of your guests will remember.
Try some of these ideas:
- You could invent your own signature cocktails named after the bridal couple to greet your guests to the reception.
- Have a gin bar or buffet allowing guests to mix their own special blend. Fruit goes well beautifully with gin.
- Offer very grown-up iced treats with the new trend of alco-pops in a range of flavours
- Arrange a super cute vintage style pop-up food cart that sells prosecco or espresso martinis
There are many gorgeous touches you can make to your wedding outfits that play wonderfully on the summer theme. Summer colours are divine, and lend a sweet playfulness to what can sometimes be serious clothes –especially for the boys.
Here are some lovely summer wedding ideas for your outfits:
- Whimsical floral crowns in summer blooms
- Fun coloured suits for the guys such as mint green or cobalt blue
- Suave hipster hats to keep the men shaded
- Having the guys lose their jackets altogether and going for shirt-sleeves and braces
- A barefoot in the sand or lush green grass wedding celebration
- Bridesmaids in a range of different summer pastels like lemon, coral, tangerine or dusky pink
- Or pop your bridesmaids in floral print dresses for a charming summer boho vibe
There are some stunning colour combinations you can choose from if you are throwing a spectacular summer wedding. With so much variety and creative mixes to play with you are sure to find something that tells your individual love story perfectly.
Here are some colour mixes that we love for summer weddings:
- Light green with a mix of pale pink and some gold
- Paradise colours such as bold pinks and oranges
- A range of hues of purple such as indigo and lavender
- Deep blues paired with the blush of the palest pinks
- Deep green with dark pink and cream or pale pink
Themes and Motifs
Some of the most imaginative and inspiring wedding themes come from summer ideas, including beach motifs, summer country, boho, rustic, vintage and winery weddings.
Here are some clever ways to put a summer theme or motif throughout your wedding day
There are many different ways to weave a beachside motif through your wedding theme. You could feature seashells in your images and decorations, and even in your jewellery and bouquet. This sort of theme could be played more casual boho, as though you have combed the beach for your decorations (which you could!) or modern elegance if you add metallic paint and crystals to the mix.
Or you could choose a nautical motif, and go with bold blue and white stripes, flags, anchors and boat wheels, and even hold your reception at a stunning contemporary yacht club that overlooks the bay. You could have some great plays on the saying of ‘tying the knot’!
Scatter vibrant summer fruit through your wedding theme, such as featuring on the invitations, in decorations and table centrepieces, in favours and of course, in your reception cuisine. Think tropical fruit like mangos, pineapples and pawpaws, gorgeous juicy slices of watermelon, or bright fat summer berries and cherries.
Play up the Sun
You could use the summer sun itself as your theme or motif –in comes in many shapes and styles. You could feature the summer sunset on your invitations and in your colours for the big day, or use the sun as the basis for some cute wedding favours like tiny sunflower plants or sun-shaped cookies with your initials on them. OMG that would be so cute!!
Love oysters!!! Between my partner and I we could easily eat about 6 x dozen before we have had enough. One of the best things about summer in Australia is the abundance of fresh seafood. There is nothing like an opulent seafood buffet to really treat your guests. We love the idea of an oyster buffet, as oysters go perfectly with sparkling champagne, and will get everyone thinking of love.
Ice Cream Sundae Buffet
Another cool buffet idea is to have a make your own sundae buffet, with all the trimmings such as whipped cream, crushed nuts, sprinkles, chocolate sauce and even a decadent salted caramel topping.
Great for kids coming to your wedding obviously, but unsurprisingly the adults get an even bigger kick out of this sort of fun. I know I would!
Vintage ice cream van
If you are not the DIY sort, why not have a vintage-style ice cream van turn up during the afternoon or evening to serve your guests a treat straight out of their happiest childhood memories? Just imagine your guests faces when they hear that music and Mr Whippy makes an appearance.
Other Summer Wedding Ideas to Cool Down your Guests
- Customised drink bottles as wedding favours
- Cute spritz bottles for a light dusting of refreshing mist when needed
- Handheld fans or parasols in a rainbow of colours
- Lawn games such as bowls, croquet, or giant Jenga
- Create a summer festival vibe with BBQ or food vans, big buckets of beer on ice and roaming folk musicians
- Having a naked wedding cake just festooned with summer blossoms, berries and a dusting of icing sugar
- Set up a chill out zone with Italian-inspired beach lounges
- Gift people flip-flops, sunglasses or sunscreen.
We LOVE a summer wedding here at Only Dream Dresses, as you can see. If you have any more great ideas for a wedding in summer, comment and let us know.
Main photo by Pure Breeze Photography
If you would like to join our exclusive mailing list for the O.D brides-to-be, who are the first to receive our blogs, offers or announcements direct to your inbox please sign up to our exclusive subscription list.